At Tavano we have to keep-up with everything NetSuite SuiteCommerce related. The NetSuite SuiteCommerce Developers portal is a major reference for our team to learn what’s going on with the SuiteCommerce platform, check for development best practices and to help guide the design of custom solutions built for our clients.
These are 5 articles of what I think are a must read for every new SCA developer and might come very handy even to senior developers.
Important: Are you looking for top SuiteCommerce skills for your project? Well, of course you do… who wouldn’t like to accomplish a project in less time? Learning and applying SuiteCommerce coding best practices takes time and patience – if you don’t have one of these we recommend you contact one of our own SuiteCommerce developers today.
1) Getting Started
As obvious as it might sound this is where every new SuiteCommerce advanced developer should start with:
What’s it about?
- Explains some basics and foundations.
- Provide an overview of architecture and technologies used.
- Expose some best practices on how to extend and customize.
What you’ll learn?
- Best practices when dealing with customizations.
- Working with field sets.
- Create a Model a View and Template, understand the relationship between them.
3) 5 Ways to Troubleshoot SCA in the Browser
When you are developing testing and debugging is an important task, so here you will find some tips on where to search for problems.
- Commons mistakes.
- Where to search.
- Find what template to edit.
- Find what sass file to edit.
4) Find Out About the New Service Controllers
For those who spent some time with SCA customization this is a post exposing the new architecture for services.
What is this about?
- Why the change was made.
- Patterns used like implementation of AMD.
5) Troubleshooting DNS Problems With the CDN
The next one provide tools to troubleshooting DNS problems with CDN. Performance improvements is always important and a CDN could help you with.
What does this post explain?
- How to debug and basic checks to see if it is configured correctly.
- Set up.
- Common problems.
Bonus Article: Learn How to Develop an Extension for SuiteCommerce
This article is a detailed guide oriented to developers looking to understand the extensibility framework and how to start taking advantage of it by developing extensions. Extensions can be developed both for SuiteCommerce and SuiteCommerce Advanced websites.
What does this post explain?
- Set up the dev environment.
- Start extension development.
- How to create the entry point file, the view, the template, the saas file, the manifest, and the assets.
- Set up custom record type, and CMS content type
- How to deploy and test
Becoming a skilled SuiteCommerce Advanced developer takes time and patience. If you need help on your SCA project, we count with certified SuiteCommerce developers that have implemented countless of NetSuite websites and can help you get there faster following coding best practices. Contact us to learn more.
Editor’s note: this post was originally published on December 2016 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.